Monday, October 25, 2010

Year-long versus Semester AP Psychology - Data Needed Please

I (Kent) received the following from Jim Frailing of Neenah High School, Neenah, WI. Please take some time out of your busy schedules to help Jim as best you can.

In March of 2009, we here at the THSP Blog ran a short survey regarding year-long versus semester-long AP Psychology classes. For more information or to take part in that survey go to http://teachinghighschoolpsychology.blogspot.com/2009/03/ap-psychology-one-year-or-one-semester.html

Thanks for your help.



From Jim Frailing, 10/25/10

Year-long versus Semester AP Psychology - Data Needed Please

Hello,


I am in need of some assistance. Our school is moving from a Trimester schedule (5 classes a day - 70 minutes each) to a Semester schedule (7 classes a day - 50 minutes each).

I currently teach AP Psychology in two trimesters (120 days - 70 minutes per day). I was originally told that when we switch to semesters, AP Psychology would be a Year-long course. Now I am being told it will only be a one semester course.

I am in need of research, data, statistics, antidotal evidence, and anything else I can get a hold of, to make the argument of AP Psychology being taught as a Year-long course.

I know others have had to fight this battle, and I would love to hear how you approached it, and what information you used to make your case.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Comments and resources can be sent off-list at the email below.

Take care,

Jim


Jim Frailing
Neenah High School
1275 Tullar Road
Neenah WI 54956
Phone: 920-751-6900 ext. 223
Email: JFrailing@neenah.k12.wi.us
Fax: 920-751-6920

No comments: