Tuesday, January 25, 2011

DSM Revisions - Inside the Battle


In a way, this post is a companion to the previous one about Crazy Like Us. I think WIRED magazine does a consistently great job of writing compelling science articles. Their recent article "The Book of Woe" is a fascinating look into the politics, battles, philosophical perspectives, and arguments involved in the current DSM revision process. Reading and discussing the article could help students understand the complexity of how psychological disorders get defined and how that process of definition is informed by scientific and social factors. I fear that I'm making the article sound a bit dry - it really is a compelling, exciting, and somewhat depressing (to me) read.


posted by Rob McEntarffer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, as a psych teacher I really like your blog. Perhaps you'd like to follow mine?
http://psychfragilethought.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Welle said...

This sounds like something right up my alley. "A little depressing" is my favorite nonfiction genre. (To even things out I alternate depressing reads with comics.) This is going on my to-read list.

Unknown said...

Anonymous - thanks for the link to your blog - looks great!