Saturday, August 6, 2011

Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain



A couple of weeks ago, I posted a short entry about David Eagleman appearing on the Colbert Report.  After having delayed the purchase of his book, I did finally buy it.  And was it ever worth it.  His writing style is so engaging I could first imagine reading portions of it to my classes.  He mentioned so many demonstration-style activities that I started marking the book up to be able to use or remind myself of these great ideas.

The content of the book examines the premise that reality is not what the conscious mind tells us it is.  He explains how "processes under the hood" are going on in our various biology-based systems and that our "conscious choices" may not exactly be that, but rather due to some underlying mechanism that we are unaware of.

No matter if you like the neuroscience books, you will like this book.  I encourage you check it out--or at least share it with one of your students and get a more detailed book review.


posted by Chuck Schallhorn

No comments: