Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Grammar and Its Impact

For those who know me, I am a bit of a grammarian.  I can be annoying with all my pointing out of, what to me, are obvious errors.  I emphasize grammar and writing in my classes, much to the consternation of my students.  I endeavor to write posts free from mistakes.  On this note, a wonderful site called Grammarly was shared with me by Nikolas Baron.

Psychologically, the way we write matters to our respective audiences, whether they are friends, family, teachers, or employers.  So imagine my happiness when I read this infographic.  I was very pleased to see it.  The data in the infographic comes from research conducted with over 400 freelance writers.  Of course, have the patience and perseverance to do grammar and writing checks means that these folks are likely higher in the conscientiousness scale of the OCEAN (Big Five) personality test.

To that end, Grammerly also has a grammar checker online.  Check it out. I ran this post through the service after a brief log in.  It is available as a Chrome plugin.  Very cool.




posted by Chuck Schallhorn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post. Thank you for the link. But, isn't there a grammar mistake in the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph? I'm not good at grammar, so I could be wrong, but shouldn't the word 'have' in that sentence, be 'having' instead?