Tuesday, February 5, 2013

10 Unsolved Mysteries of the Brain

I love reading David Eagleman's summaries of brain research. We've posted about Eagleman's work several times before (on the Colbert Report, Twitter invitations to participate in research, and his book Incognito). He combines a deep knowledge of brain research along with an author's artistic sensibility about how to communicate that research effectively (in my opinion).

Recently I stumbled across this old (6 years ago!) blog post he did for Discover Magazine: "10 Unsolved Mysteries Of The Brain" The "mysteries" he lists are still provocative to me (I never thought about what the baseline activity of the brain might represent before) and this list might be the basis on interesting classroom research: could students look at more current research and think about whether or not any progress has been made on these "mysteries" in the past 6 years? They could even be brave and write to Eagleman - I wouldn't be surprised if they got a response! We often talk about how quickly brain research moves and changes - this activity might SHOW that (or not!)




posted by Rob McEntarffer

No comments: