Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Shutter Island

One of the best things about being a psych teacher is hearing the magic question, "Have you seen movie X or read book Y?  "It has so much to do with class" or or "I saw this and it made me think of you."  Something along those lines.  Not sure about you, but I love hearing that.  In my head, I'm jumping up and down thinking "they are making connections!!!!"  It's even better when they go into detail about how the connections are made. 

The current pop culture event that is prompting the question is the new film, Shutter Island with Leo DiCaprio and Sir Ben Kingsley.  You can imagine my delight when I discovered this review on NewAmerican by Raven Clabough that uses the terms "behavioral psychology," "humanistic psychology," and "experimental psychology."  The review itself is excellent and based upon its descriptions, makes the film a must-see.

I've had numerous students mention the film in class.  Former students have contacted me on facebook to ask me if I've seen it.  I suppose I now must go.  After all, I did not see The Matrix when my students told me to back in 1999.  The three Matrix films are now among my favorites (can you say The Ultimate Matrix Collection [Blu-ray]???).  I should have listened to my students then--I think I will now.

No comments: